“She used to be my only enemy and never let me be free/Catching me in places that I knew I shouldn’t be/Every other day I crossed the line I didn’t mean to be so bad/I never thought you would become the friend I never had,” the Spice Girls sang in their hit song “Mama” nearly 15 years ago. Now, the Spice Women are all mums themselves! It seems like yesterday we were bopping around to their pop songs, and now they’ve all got kiddies of their own! On Mother’s Day, we discussed how babies are the newest celebrity accessory (hell, there’s a baby section of People magazine…), and who our favorite Hollywood moms were (including Posh, of course), so why shouldn’t we discuss our favorite pop-stars of our childhood, too? Especially when they’ve got quite a few “baby spices” themselves! Here are the Spice Mamas, in order of their appearance on their original album cover, because that’s how we’ll always remember them:
1. Posh Spice (Victoria Adams Beckham): She was only 24 when she had her first son, Brooklyn Joseph, with famous husband, David Beckham, in 1999. She went on to have two other sons, Romeo James and Cruz David, and is due with her first daughter this summer. (Fun Fact: Upon hearing his new sibling was going to be a girl, Romeo asked to name the new baby “Justine Beiber Beckham.”)
2. Baby Spice (Emma Bunton): Baby Spice lives up to her name, seeing as she just gave birth four days ago to her second child, Tate, with boyfriend of 11 years, Jade Jones. She is also mum to Beau Lee Jones.
3. Sporty Spice (Melanie Chisholm): She is mum to a baby with the same initials as her alter-ego, Scarlet Starr! Chisholm has been dating the baby’s father since 2002.
4. Ginger Spice (Geri Halliwell): Ginger was definitely one to stand out, so it’s not surprise her daughter has the most unusual name of the bunch – Bluebell Madonna Halliwell. Geri explained whys she gave her the unique moniker, “What really clinched it for me was my mother telling me that the bluebell is increasingly rare – so it’s a precious flower, which seems just right for my daughter.” Bluebell’s middle name is for both the pop-star and the virgin by the same name. The top photo shows four of the Spice Girls at her christening (Fun Fact: Beckham and Bunton are Bluebell’s godmothers!)
5. Scary Spice (Melanie Brown): The first to become a mom, Brown was only 23 when she had her first child, Phoenix Chi (now that’s scary!) with her first husband. Her second daughter, Iris Angel Murphy Brown, was the center of a very embarrassing paternity case with actor Eddie Murphy, but eventually Scary settled down with long-time friend, Stephen Belafonte. Something must be in the Spice Girls’ water, because they too, are expecting a baby this summer! (Fun Fact: Brown and Beckham’s first babies were born only two weeks apart, and both were named for locations special to their parents – Phoenix was the city she was conceived in, while Brooklyn is named for the city his parents were visiting when they found out they were having him!)